Sunday, June 6, 2010

vacation weekend

This weekend has been like a real vacation for me. I have gotten to spend a ton of time with Bradley and Jessica. I'm sure that having a three day weekend has helped, but we have gotten to do so much. On Friday we all went over to the park that is about half a block away. The carnival was there so we were able to go on some rides and enjoy $1 sliced of pizza. Bradley went on some of the, 3 ticket, kiddie rides, but then we upgraded to the giant 4 ticket rides. (at least the ones that he was tall enough to go on. I don't know how tall he is, but we guessed based on how tall his friend, Rachel, is. we also based it on how fun the ride looked. and how willing his mother was to let her little baby boy go so high up in the air with no real protection, except a little lap bar that he could slip right out of. (Yes, Jessica really cares about Bradley too.)

He liked the Gravitron. At least he said that he did. His face in the fast spinning room of death told a little different story, but both Jessica and I were there to ensure him that it had the potential to be fun. I tried to show him that I could lay sideways on the wall without falling, but i don't think that he was able to peel his head up enough to see what was really going on.

After the carnival we came how for an entire set of much needed naps and then set back out to try our hands at flying around in a helicopter. The carnival had a place over at one of the elementary schools were they were giving rides for just $15 a head. I had never been in a helicopter that was off of the ground and i know Bradley hadn't either. We got to fly right over our house! Since then, every time we saw the helicopter flying around he would say "That's the helicopter that I got to go on." It was a way cool experience. Bradley got to ride front and center right next to the pilot and I rode next to him in the passenger front seat.



In the evening, we all went to American Fork where they were setting up the new bridge over the I15. It was slow moving, but I'm not sure there is another way to move 2,200 tons all at once. Bradley was interested for a bit, but soon got board as there was no real fast paced action. At least he was excited to stay up past his bed time!This is a panoramic pic taken by Jessica's cousin, Adam, on his cell phone. To the right of the bright light in the middle you can see the bridge half way down the road. The crew moved it from behind the light, out onto the freeway and down the road to set in in place. This clip shows what it should look like when it is done. http://www.udot.utah.gov/pioneer/ We were able to stand on the south bridge and see the whole thing. Well... most of it. about 1-1:30 am it started raining and blowing pretty badly so we decided to bail, but the bridge was pretty close when we did that. It was a pretty cool experience. Bradley fell asleep in the Jeep on the way home. and I don't know that he has slept in that late the next morning for a long long time. It was much deserved, and we had a big day planned for Saturday.


Saturday morning I actually had to wake Bradley up to go to the parade. We drug our chairs over to Pony Express, which is about a half block in the other direction of the carnival. We say up out stuff and waited for what must have seemed like forever to a 4 year old, but once they brought out the cannon and muskets, his full attention was on what was walking down the street. Then came the candy!!!. He was right by the road and he got hooked up!. We had brought a little back pack to haul water and snacks in and we filled it up with candy, tooth brushes and a t shirt that he scored in the parade.

The parade was over and now it was time to head back to the carnival and use the rest of the tickets from the day before. He and his friend Rachel went on a few more rides. He and I went on the Cyclone and he loved it. I guess he is a little like me when it comes to trill seeking and scaring his mother.

The rest of the day was spent sitting by out inflatable pool and deep frying food with our neighbors. then we went to see out first firework show of the year over at the amphitheatre. here in the Ranches to conclude the Pony Express Days weekend. Bradley loved the fireworks and was sad when they got over, but he was happy that he got to stay up late two night in a row and he again fell asleep on the ride home. Today ought to be more relaxed so we can all get ready for the long week ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to take him to Lagoon! Finally someone to go on the scary rides with me!!

    ReplyDelete