Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mountain Hike


Today Bradley wanted to go for a walk. We left the house and decided that we were going to climb a mountain. I'm not sure that he has ever summited a large hill before. To his recollection and mine this would be a first.





The journey took us about a mile away from home. (I love that the hills are so close.) We reached the end of the sidewalk and then we were in business. So confidently, Bradley started running up the hill of dirt and rock. On the way up he found "blueberries?!?!?" He had picked for seeds off of a tree. I let him know that he may not like the taste of those ones, so we continued up the hill. soon we reached a dirt road that would lead us to the top of the hill, or what might be considered a mountain in other parts of the country.

A jagged rock cliff. A breathtaking view. The sound of a motorcycle in the neighborhood below us. It was almost like being away from it all. From the top, however, we were able to see Utah Lake, and most of Utah Valley. We could see the direction of Grandma and Grandpa Dickson's house, as well as the gas station by our house.

He sure had the urge to climb on the cliff face, but I assured him that he might perish from a fall of 50 feet plus. He reconsidered and decided that he would just look instead.

Soon it was time to return to our house. We started down the hill on a deer trail that we had come across. He ran ahead of leaping and bounding from one large rock to another with the grace of Clark Grizwald on the roof of a snow covered house. Fortunately, the luck of an injury free outing was on our side. I caught up with him as he noted to me that somebody had left some beans on the ground of the mountain. I questioned that they were beans at all, and suggested that they may have been left there by an animal. he was sure that they were beans, but not ones that we should put in out taco soup. (not Mexican enough, I guess.) We finished our trek down the hill and headed toward home, where he got to wash his hands thoroughly and enjoy a bowl of leftover taco soup for lunch. What a fun hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment