Bradley"s birthday was a couple of days ago on the 15th. It was a Friday so, of course I had to work all day. Bradley was not happy about this. I did however make a good bribing tool for Jessica. Even from the day before he wanted to open his presents and eat his cake and ice cream.
The night before, I walked through the door, after work, with his gifts that I had bought and also what was sent to work with my brother, Scott, from my parents and grandma Hattori. I also had a Spider man birthday cake with his name written on it with icing, to accompany me.
Friday came and my morning routine was the same as any other day. after I had been at work for an hour or so I got a call from Jessica. Mostly the regular morning check in stuff that is also part of the morning routine. Bradley was going to go play with some of his friends for a bit. When he got home, he again, wanted to open his presents. There was a stipulation that he had to wait until I got home from work until he could open anything.
Finally that day was over for me at work. and I hurried home. My, now four year old son, was waiting for me with a great big hug. ( The big hug at the end of the day is one of the things that I look froward to the most.) Then, it was all business. He wanted to open presents. Because I am a big softy and a door mat for my son. We, then , got to open his gifts. His great grandma Hattori got him a new set of pajamas that he wouldn't take off until he spilled juice on them the next day. Grandma and grandpa Dickson got him a construction play set that he loves. Everything on it moves and it even came with little rocks that may now obstacles for the vacuum cleaner. ( thanks mom and dad. :) He also got a six shooter Nerf gun that he is now calling his paintball gun, and he got a fisher price laptop computer that is loaded with learning games and music and mazes. Nothing ever seems to capture his attention for a long time, but I think he has a nice balance. He has been running from one thing to the next and has been in a constant state of entertainment for two days strait now.
After the present opening we moved on to dinner. At Bradley's request we had taco night. We had invited a couple of friends over to hang out for the evening. Jessica made a fantastic taco bar and the kids ran and played with Bradley's new toys. After dinner, we had cake and ice cream. then the play continued for a while.
Friday night was an easy bed time night. When bed time came around I told Bradley that when he woke up in the morning, it would be his birthday. He ran upstairs and got ready fot bed super quick. On the fifteenth, however, was another story. So I pretty much let him stay up until he was tired and falling asleep.
I have been thinking since his birthday. He is getting to a point in his life where he will start remembering things. You know. the type of thing that he will remember when he 30. (not that this is an old age) It just makes me think that I should be doing more as a father. I want to make sure that his experiences with me are things that he will be happy to be things that he carries with him forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
hard to believe the munchkin is four...
ReplyDeleteAwwww, David you are such a good daddy!! :D
ReplyDelete