Sunday, November 1, 2009

Trick-or-Treat


I got to take the little man out Trick-or-treating last night. that was a hoot. He was dressed up as a "scary skull guy" in his words. We let him pick out his costume earlier this month and that's what he wanted to be more than anything else on the rack. Lucky for the wife and I, he also picked one of the cheapest things on the rack. It was amazing to me how muck you can spend on a Halloween costume that could only be worn once, because next year he would be bigger and he'll want a cooler costume next year too. Of course next year the scary skull guy costume won't be so scary anymore. He'll probably have to have blood and guts hanging out or and extra head or something like that in order to be scary enough.

He and I set off to the great wide world of out neighborhood on an excursion to get candy. I'm not sure that he recalled last year all that well at first, but once we visited a few people and he saw candy in his little collapsible pumpkin treat basket, he had the idea down. Off to the next hose we went. He was determined. He probably would have knocked holes in the doors of the people that weren't home if I hadn't stopped him, at first. Soon he realized that this, spending time on people who aren't home thing, is counter productive. We had a TON of kids trick-or-treating the neighborhood at the same time. They would all share the valuable information that "Those people aren't home" or " I saw some other kids knock at that house and no one answered." Lest run to the next house with the porch light on. We didn't want to waste any candy getting time on people that might not be home.

His scary skull guy costume, complete with mask and gloves, was kind of hard for him to see all of the stairs on every porch. He did real well at taking his time up and down the hazard ares, but once he was on the beloved flat ground again, it was game on. There was one house where there was a lot of monstrous sized steps, but he ran to them as fast as his bony little skeleton legs would carry him. He ran half way down the walk way until he caught one of the sidewalk squares that was slightly higher than the rest. Candy went flying everywhere. It's hard to see a facial expression with a mask on him, but i knew what was up. He regained his composure and started to clean up his candy. He took his time and looked around, because he didn't want to miss a single piece. then..... about 4 million kids ran to the doorstep in front of him. One angry mother yelled at all of the kids and made them split like the red sea, while Bradley dusted himself off and walked up the stairs to get his candy. He seemed so proud. Then the sea closed on him. fortunately for the small genes that his aunt gave him, he was able to crawl and squirm out of the mess of stretched out candy bags and came out on the other side. He got a high five from me for his mad skills.

We were almost home and we got to one of our close neighbors house. This is a place where he knows and he knows the people who live there. Our neighbor was on his porch dressed up and had on a full head rubber mask of, what seemed to be every little skeletons worst nightmare. I told him to go and get some candy and he refused. "You go get me some candy!" he said. I am a door mat for my son, but that was asking a little much. I told him that I would hold his hand and wank with him and he wouldn't budge. He said that the guy would get him. "You are a scary skull guy. Go get him." I said to the mortified masked scaredy cat. He didn't move an inch. Then I saw some other kids coming. we watched as they went up and got candy and lived! He decided that is still wasn't worth the risk and so we came home.

He ate a little bit of his newly acquired loot, but seemed to be more interested in answering the door and handing out the candy. He was a little slow at it and if the impatient little ghouls started walking away before he could open the door, he would yell "Hey! I have candy for you!" and the whole herd would stop and return for their treats. By the time the night was over we had about 6 pieces of candy left. We may need to buy more candy next year. I am curious to see if he wants to go play at the neighbors house again soon, after seeing the masked horror on the porch that he was unable to get past for a piece of candy. I guess I now know how to take candy from my son.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Thats AWESOME! And I'm pretty sure he can't recieve small genes from his AUNT!!! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty sure he CAN receive small genes from his aunt. I feel bad for my (hopefully) children...their aunt is SHORT!

    ReplyDelete